¾" brass Gregorian telescope by Francis Watkins c1765
A dramatic 2 ¾" Gregorian reflecting telescope dating to circa 1765. Although unsigned on the body, the mirror is stamped with a large W, and a smaller SW. This would tend to attribute it to Francis Watkins who also worked as Watkins & Smith in London. Telescopes of this type were often stamped on the mirror with the makers initials. Total overall length is 18". It stands on a brass tripod base with folding cabriole legs, and measures 12 ¾ to the top in horizontal position. The telescope attaches to the base with two brass wing nuts. Focus in controlled by a knob attached to a long focusing rod. The controls and optical performance are in very good operating condition. The front of the tube has a brass screw-in lens cap. This telescope has been professionally refinished in lacquered brass. It is in exceptional cosmetic condition, noting two small cuts into the brass mirror ring and a few minor dings commiserate with age. The telescope has been engraved in script, Capt. W. L. Browse, R.N. This is a classic example of 18th century Gregorian telescope so prevalent in England at that time. Its elegant profile and restored patina make very sophisticated and practical display.