Harris brass telescope – circa 1825

A very large 19th century brass terrestrial refracting telescope, signed on the tube, “Harris & Co., 50 Holborn London.”   William Harris worked at this address from 1816-1839, which helps date the telescope to the first third of the 19th century.  The telescope measures 53 3/4” long when closed but can extend fully to 64”.   The original lens is a 3” achromatic.  The telescope is finished in relacquered brass, and has been professionally restored to meticulous condition.  The telescope stands 25” high on its own removable brass stand with three collapsing legs.  The dual sliding arm supports attach to the legs of the stand and allow very smooth tracking for the telescope.  The telescope barrel separates in half for storage in the wooden case.  This instrument makes a very imposing display, but is also a practical, usable telescope from a very reputable manufacturer. 

Item 5048

telescope menu home