|J H Steward
brass refracting telescope with floor mount tripod stand
- circa 1913
An exceptional late 19th or early 20th century brass terrestrial refracting telescope, signed on the eyepiece ring, “J. H. Steward Ltd. 406 Strand, London. The telescope measures 47 3/4” when fully extended. Main tube length is 38”. Full extension of the telescope is 51 ½”. The main lens diameter is 3” diameter. The front lens element is recessed 1 3/4” into the tube to act as a shield. The front optic has some haze and scratching typical for its age. The optics are uncoated. The instrument is finished in a later re-lacquered brass, although the lens tube extension retains its original lacquer finish with typical age wear showing the marks from the hot-lacquering process that was used to cover brass in the 1800s and very early 1900s. This instrument is not only a very attractive decorator piece, but is a practical, usable telescope from a very reputable manufacturer.