Nairne & Blunt side-pillar chest microscope c 1775

An early chest microscope, this one is signed on the stage, "Naire & Blunt, London."  The design is yet another variation of the Cuff style microscope. Nairne has a prestigious history of making microscopes and telescopes dating back to the middle of the 18th century. Edward Naire and Thomas Blunt formed their London partnership in 1774 and worked together almost to the end of the 18th century.  This instrument probably dates to circa 1775. It stands 15" tall, and is mounted in a case that measures 11 1/4" x 5 1/2" x 6" tall. The microscope accessories are all arranged within the case for convenient use.  There are five objectives, each numbered 1 through 5.  There is a single eyepiece with sliding brass cover.  The sub-stage mirror is concave and in excellent, usable condition excepting one long streak down the middle.  The stage is moved into position by hand until the micrometer knob alongside the pillar can take over and focus.  Additional accessories along one side of the case include a slide holder that fits onto the stage, a screw-in live box, a brass cone for narrowing the light, an ivory talc box, stage forceps, and an apparatus that fits over the lens barrel to hold the lieberkuhn. The other side has the objectives and then a lieberkuhn (in excellent, polished condition) contained in its own brass canister, tweezers, two black and one white ivory sliders, and a fish plate still complete with its original tie down ribbon.   The plush-lined case is a deep mahogany color.  The microscope is lacquered brass in excellent condition, retaining most of its original finish noting typical brush streaks of wear.  This is a very complete and historically important treatment of the Cuff type microscope. Its fine condition and near completeness render it an exceptional and rare instrument.

Item 1536

microscope menu home