ross1.jpg (52884 bytes)

ross2.jpg (66958 bytes)

 

 

19th Century brass microscope by Ross

This large, all brass, bar-limb microscope with Y-foot measures 19" tall in closed position. It is signed, "A. ROSS, London, 1765" on its base. The serial number would date it to circa 1857. This is one year prior to the standardization of the Society objective screw thread. Consequently, this microscope does not accept the Society lenses. Coarse focus is rack and pinion, and fine focus by a graduated knob attached to a short lever in the bar-limb. The microscope has a mechanical stage with two controls for lateral movement. Additionally, the slide tray rotates. All mechanical motion is excellent. The finish is lacquered brass, and the instrument retains most of its original varnish. On the front of the barrel is an engraving of a lion rampant. (See photo.) The plano-concave mirror is excellent. The microscope comes with one correction-collar " objective in a brass canister marked "A. Ross, London". It was Ross who invented the correction-collar objective in 1837. The lens, itself, is signed "A. Ross 1857", and is marked "Uncovered, Covered". The lens is substantial, measuring 2 3/8" in length. It retains most of its original varnish, as does its canister. The front element of the lens can be removed to convert it to a lower power. The microscope also comes with two eyepieces: one about 10x marked "A", and a high-powered eyepiece marked "D". There is no condenser with this microscope. The instrument is housed in a dove-tailed mahogany case with a brass handle and two doors, front and back. This venerable microscope has the claw foot and solidly built base that were introduced, and made popular by Ross. Since Andrew Ross died in 1859, this is one of the last instruments signed by him. The large, stately scale of the microscope renders it an impressive and imposing display

Item 1030

back home